Jakob Nielsen’s ten usability heuristics for U.I Design. They are referred to as ‘heurisitics’ due to them being broad rules of thumb and not specific guidelines.
Jakob Nielsen’s 10 Usability Heuristics for U.I. Design are:
- Visibility of system status
- Match between system and the real world
- User control and freedom
- Consistency and standards
- Error prevention
- Recognition rather than recall
- Flexibility and efficiency of use
- Aesthetic and minimalist design
- Help users recognize, diagnose, and recover from errors
- Help and documentation
For a breakdown on each of these, I thoroughly recommend this article.